I often talk about the need for mobile websites for dentists. Anybody who has been on a bus, on a train, or in a cafe in the last few years will realise that the world is now living on his or her mobile phone. According to Forbes, ‘87% of connected devices sales by 2017 will be tablets and smartphones’.
A staggering 70% of Australians own either a smartphone or tablet device, and 32% own both. The usage statistics indicate that the majority of Australians are highly dependent on their mobile devices; they rarely leave these devices out of hand even in the home.
Due to this widespread (and quickly growing) use of smartphones and tablets, it is necessary for practices to create content that’s accessible to mobile users. It is important to provide a positive experience to users that are browsing via a mobile device.
- 50% of people, even if they like a business, will use them less often if the website isn’t mobile-friendly.
- When people visit a mobile-friendly website, 74% of people are more likely to return to that website in the future.
- 67% of mobile users that visit a mobile-friendly website are more likely to buy a website’s product or service.
- 30% of Google Ads are accessed by mobile phones. Therefore, if you are using Google Ads and you don’t have a mobile website then you are instantly wasting 30% of your money.
If your dental website design is not mobile ready, you may easily lose patients to competitors who have adapted to this trend. As the shift from traditional PCs and laptops to mobile devices continues, businesses that are not mobile ready are likely to suffer.
Mobile websites for dentists can be obtained either by creating an alternative mobile version of a website or utilising responsive website design.
I would always recommend responsive website design. Having a separate website is a lot of unnecessary administration. The responsive website design approach builds a single website that provides an optimal viewing experience (easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling) across a wide range of devices, from mobile phones to desktop computer monitors.
The advantages of a mobile friendly dental website design
The main benefits are speed and ease of use. Although smart phones already allow for website connectivity, creating a mobile version of your website will:
- Provide faster functionality.
- Allow greater connectivity with your patients.
- Bypass geographic restrictions.
By providing visitors with the easiest possible access to your business, you will increase your chance of a sale and gain an edge over your competitors.
Carolyn Dean is the author of ‘Fully booked – Dental marketing secrets for a full appointment book’ and is the managing director at My Dental Marketing. Carolyn is a widely known seminar speaker and dental marketing consultant working with over twenty-five years’ experience in sales and marketing, working with some of the largest global IT organisations.