Over the past couple months, Facebook has been slowly rolling out the ability to add video cover images to Facebook pages. We love this so much that we have created some for our Facebook Page
In this article, you’ll discover how to use a Facebook video cover on your Facebook page.
Why Use a Facebook Cover Video?
When users visit your dental practice Facebook page, your cover photo is one of the first things they’ll notice. For new visitors, your cover photo can help represent your practice brand and portray your story in just a few seconds. It only makes sense that a short video can accomplish this better than a still photo.
Video immediately grabs the audience’s attention. Just like in the news feed, a cover video will autoplay (without sound), drawing people’s eyes right to it. This may help keep patients on your Facebook page and simultaneously drive more engagement.
Your cover video will be more effective if it gets its point across without sound. If users click to enable sound, great! But if they don’t, you haven’t lost anything.
Do you have access to Facebook video covers?
To find out if you’ve got access to video covers, head over to your Facebook page, hover over the cover image and click on the Change Cover button. The drop down menu should have the option to “Choose From Videos” or “Upload Photo/Video” if you do have the ability.
If you don’t have access yet, you should soon. According to an official Facebook statement “The feature is still in early testing, but we expect to roll it out more widely soon. We appreciate your patience and support while we improve on this feature to bring cover video available to you soon.”
Tips for making your Facebook cover image video
One of the biggest questions about this new feature is, how do you export a video wide enough to fit in the Facebook cover image spot? The answer is, you don’t have to. You can upload a regular landscape video and drag and drop to crop it to the correct size.
Keep a couple of things in mind when creating your video:
- Your video must be between 20 and 90 seconds long in order to upload it. (If your video is too long, you’ll need to shorten it before uploading it to Facebook)
- Your video resolution must be 1080p in order to upload and use it as a Facebook cover.
- Part of the height of your video will be cropped out, so make sure to keep any important photos or text centralized so it won’t get cut out.
- Note – Cover videos are only available for Pages and not personal profiles at this time.
How to upload a Facebook cover image video
Uploading a video as your Facebook cover image is as simple as uploading a new photo. Hover your mouse over the cover image on your Facebook page and you’ll see a camera icon pop up. Click the Change Cover icon.
- You can choose a video as your cover image the same way you’d add a new cover photo.
- If you have access to the cover video feature, you’ll see options to select a video from your library (Choose From Videos) or upload a new video (Upload Photo/Video).
- Choose a cover video from your video library or upload new content.
- Choose a video that meets the technical requirements. (see above)
- If you try to use a video that doesn’t meet the requirements, Facebook won’t let you upload it as a cover video.
- Note – If your cover video doesn’t already meet Facebook’s technical standards, you won’t be able to upload it directly as your page’s cover video.
We’re in the age of video on social media, and many social media platforms are finding new ways to encourage more video.
Using a cover video for your dental practice Facebook page is an excellent way to tell your practice’s story quickly while simultaneously grabbing patients’ attention. Uploading a video is as simple as uploading a photo, so test it out and see how it works for your practice.
Need a video for your dental practice?
We can provide a wide variety of options for videos for your dental practice – Find out more and see examples.
Carolyn Dean is the author of ‘Fully booked – Dental marketing secrets for a full appointment book’ and is the managing director at My Dental Marketing. Carolyn is a widely known seminar speaker and dental marketing consultant working with over twenty-five years’ experience in sales and marketing, working with some of the largest global IT organisations.